This Easter coinciding with the lockdown is no time to sulk but get the family together and make a day of it.
You got it right!
Today we’re going to dye our Easter eggs ……with natural colors!
Easter – a festival celebrated worldwide – celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Easter egg is said to personify new life and is therefore considered an essential part of the festival.
Let’s get to work, shall we?
- Hard-cooked or simply, boiled eggs (white or brown. White eggs show vibrant colors) Note: The older the eggs, the easier it is to peel.
- 1 cup chopped red beets
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder per cup of water
- 1 tbsp black tea leaves
- 1 tbsp white vinegar per cup of water (acidity balances the pH of the dye-bath creating ideal conditions for egg coloring)
1. Add water to four saucepans.
2. Add chopped red beets, blueberries, turmeric powder, and black tea leaves into separate pans.
3. Bring the water to a boil.
4. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove the pans from the heat and let the dyes cool at room temperature.
6. Strain the dyes into mason jars. (Leave a few chunks in the strained liquid to get a unique texture on the eggs.)
7. Stir in the vinegar into the dyes.
8. Submerge the eggs in the dyes and refrigerate for about 24- 48 hours.
9. Remove and dry the eggs.
10. Gently massage in a little oil to each one and polish with a paper towel.
Some other ingredients used to obtain natural dyes are boiled spinach leaves, chili powder, boiled yellow onion skins, carrots, red wine, chamomile tea, lemon peels.
Store, eat, or, better yet, hide them!
You can make separate batches of different colors or one batch of all colors. You can also use decorative items to add effects or decorations.
Print this out for a super fun Easter egg hunt!
We’ve created an exciting little challenge for an indoor scavenger hunt!
- Print the PDF
- Cut the eggs in half
- To the kids, give the halves with clues
- Hide the other half at the location the riddle points to
- Let them match the the riddle to the answer!
- The hunt ends with them finding a delicious treat!
Go on, try, and let us know how it went.
Stay home, stay safe.